Yahoo! Avatars

Solicitors

I hate door to door salesmen.

If you are selling girl scout cookies or raising money for your school and knock on my door, you are guaranteed a sale if I am home.

Monday, I was enjoying the weather, windows open, sun shining and not a cloud in the sky. Hubby had a day off and was in his office most of the day, so the day was near perfection.

I have dogs. They bark without restraint at all who enter our porch area, even if it's someone they know.

I paid $15 to have a sign made that clearly states "NO SOLICITING". I proudly put it on my front door 3 years ago thinking this would be the easiest way to stop the insanity. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I am not going to apologize for my resentment of the people who violate my right to privacy.

I don't like phone solicitors either, but I can just hang up on them after telling them they are violating the do not call list and they better make sure they don't call back.

But door to door solicitors who are not blind, can see the sign. They choose to knock or leave the information anyway. This immediately tells me that they don't respect their customers. Why in the hell would I ever buy something from them now?

I had 3 separate salespeople drop their crap on my front door in less than 10 minutes on Monday. Only one left a flyer with a phone number. 2 of the solicitors were neighbors selling their direct sales crap.

I called the jewelry soliciting neighbor and tried to hide my irritation. She was excited to get my call (I'm sure she thought her marketing campaign blitz had paid off), only to hear the disappointment in her voice when I calmly asked her to respect my privacy and please, from one neighbor to another, respect our no soliciting wishes.

Her response? Jewelry neighbor said to me "Oh yes, I remember seeing the sign, that's why I didn't knock on the door and just left the catalogs"

My response? I explained that it was still unwanted and she shouldn't spend hard earned money on catalogs that I will just throw away.

I just want to enjoy my home without being harrassed DAILY by some stupid salesperson. I am getting to the point that I am going to go ahead and order the $1200 security door so I can verbally berate the jerks that ring my doorbell and not worry that they will push the door open and kill me.

Am I overreacting? Am I just getting bitchy in my old age? I just want to be able to go a day without harassment by someone who wants to separate me from my money. Plus my dogs are doing their job by alerting me to strangers at the door, even though the barking is annoying, I don't want them to stop.

Any suggestions? My sign is clearly being ignored. Maybe I need a bigger one. HMMM........

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100%. I am on a corner and I am constantly getting knocks at my door. we have a gate that latches on the inside - they reach over and unlatch it. we disconnected the doorbell . . . they ring it and when it doesn't work they knock - LOUDLY. I too have a dog that barks, but when mine does it he often wakes up my newborn and my toddler. And if by some crazy chance I am actually am getting a nap myself, it too is ruined. And yes, I also have a no soliciting sign. I wish I had an answer, but unfortunately i just have to hide behind closed doors in order to keep my children and myself safe.

Copyright

All rights reserved. The entire content in this blog are the property of the author. Any portion used for commercial or monetary gain, or for non monetary publication on another website without prior written consent by author of this blog will be subject to litigation. In short, you are welcome to use the recipes at home, but it's not cool to post my recipes on another website whether I am given credit or not. If you have any questions, you may email THESOUPDIVA@AOL.COM