Yahoo! Avatars

Halibut Chowder

This is a recipe sent to me via email from a lovely couple my husband met on his recent vacation in Alaska. He and my daughter were there for a week, coming home with 200 lbs of fish. It has invaded every nook and cranny of my freezer in my garage and forced my dwindling supply of meat into the freezer in the kitchen. I am still vegetarian (2 months and counting). I still have some frozen meat in the freezer that I have been trying to use up, as I don't want to waste the meat, as an animal died and I don't want the death to have been in vane. On a side note, my mother has become increasingly and weirdly defensive about my choice to be vegetarian on my way to vegan. It's almost like she sees my choice to stop eating animals as an attack against the way she raised me. Very odd. When they visited the beginning of the month, I served them meat and also made myself and my daughter a separate main course. What is offensive about that? I truly am not forcing my choices on anyone else and am trying to be sensitive to their choice. What is wrong with wanting a little sensitivity back?
Ok, enough rambling on.... here is the recipe.......

1/2 lb Bacon (chopped)
3 tpbs flour
3 stalks celery (chopped)
1 tsp dry parsley
3 cans evaporated milk
1/2 cube butter
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 medium potatoes (chopped)
1 Cup diced Carrots (optional)
1 can creamed corn
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 to 1 lb halibut

Cook bacon till nearly done; add onions to bacon and cook till onions are done. Add flour and stir until well mixed. Set aside.

Cook potatoes, celery, carrots (optional) in chicken broth until done. Add halibut and cook until fish is done. (this should not take more than 10 minutes).

Mix all ingredients in a stock pot and simmer.

0 comments:

Copyright

All rights reserved. The entire content in this blog are the property of the author. Any portion used for commercial or monetary gain, or for non monetary publication on another website without prior written consent by author of this blog will be subject to litigation. In short, you are welcome to use the recipes at home, but it's not cool to post my recipes on another website whether I am given credit or not. If you have any questions, you may email THESOUPDIVA@AOL.COM